Ireland’s newest EuroMillions winner comes forward

first_imgDonegal has had its fair share of Lotto wins recently, but it wasn’t the county’s lucky day this time around, as Ireland’s newest multi-millionaires were revealed.A large family syndicate from Naul in Dublin has come forward to claim Tuesday’s massive €175.4m EuroMillions jackpot.It was revealed today that six sisters will share the winnings. The lucky ticket was sold at Reilly’s Daybreak in Naul. A family spokesperson, who is married to one of the syndicate, said: “This is unbelievable. It will take us some time to get our heads around this win and to organise ourselves.”The win has been described as a ‘dream come true’ for the close-knit clan, who are mostly retired.The family spokesperson added: “We know this is a huge story and there is great excitement over this win.“We need time to let this news sink in and to prepare to collect our winnings. We are a normal family and we don’t want this to dramatically change our lives.” The €175M jackpot represents the biggest ever lottery win on the island of Ireland.Ireland’s newest EuroMillions winner comes forward was last modified: February 20th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Mary Kom lands a counter punch on detractors

first_imgBefore leaving for Mongolia for the Women’s Asian Championships, the much talked-about topic in India was whether five-time world champion Mary Kom will cope with the challenge from the Chinese boxers.Mary Kom’s toughest rival has been China’s two-time world 51kg champion Ren Cancan, who defeated her in the semi-finals of the 2010 Asian Games. But not only did Mary Kom avenge her defeat, beating Cancan at the Asian Championships in Mongolia, her victory was also a fitting reply to her detractors who had doubted her ability to perform consistently at the top level. “People used to say I am ageing, I am short and I can’t play up to the rising standard of the women’s boxing. But I always believe in hard work, so I remained silent and worked hard on my weaknesses. This victory is a reply to all those who doubted my ability,” Mary Kom, who has won her all three Asian titles in the 46kg category, told Mail Today. “People have blamed me for killing youngsters’ chances in the camp. But I am a supporter of fair competition and I say it again that if anyone can prove she is better than me, she has to first beat me in the ring,” she said.The standard of women’s boxing, which will make its debut at the Olympics this year, is on the rise. Like a champion, who realises the changes quickly, Mary Kom understood the importance of improvement after her defeat at an Olympic test event in London last year. She changed her base from Patiala to Pune to focus harder on individual training. The mother of two worked on her defence and learned the technique of landing punches in bunches.advertisementShe said the training played a major role in her success at the Asian stage. “The decision to shift to Pune helped me the most. Since I trained alone in Pune, I could focus on my defence in a better way. Since I am short, I sparred against tall boxers in order to cope with the height problems. These two aspects help me put up an improved performance in Mongolia,” she said.With the medal, she also boosted her chances at May’s World Championships – the solitary qualifying competition for the London Olympics. “The main thing about my victory is that I achieved it in the 51kg which is an Olympic category, and beating a two-time world champion has also boosted my confidence. I want to cash in on the momentum at the World Championships since playing and winning at the Olympics is my ultimate goal,” she said.last_img read more

Delhi University’s Open Days to settle students’ doubts

first_imgOver 500 students aspiring to take admission in undergraduate courses at Delhi University flocked to attend the first of DU’s ‘Open Days’ counseling sessions where university officials answered queries on the best-four policy, sports admissions and additional eligibility criteria.University officials cautioned students to not fall in the trap of agents who claim to help applicants in getting admission in any college by paying extra money. “Be wary of people who claim they can get you admission in any college if you pay money. There is no management quota, no NRI quota in Delhi,” said J.M. Khurana, dean students’ welfare.Most of the queries from students were around the best-four policy for cutoffs and admissions for Extra Curricular Activities (ECA) and sports quota. Khurana said the best-four calculation will include one language, two academic or elective subjects and the subject in which admission is being sought. “In case a student does not include the subject, in which he seeks admission, in his best four percentage, he or she will face a deduction of 2.5 per cent,” he said.The ‘Open Days’ sessions will be held till May 30 from 10 am to 1 pm, except on Sundays, at the varsity’s conference centre.last_img read more