Oh was the first woman of Asian descent ever nominated in this category, and her tour-de-force performance was considered a favorite to take the category … if the equally amazing Keri Russell didn’t win.Instead, Foy, who plays the queen in The Crown quite well, earned the trophy, in one of the night’s biggest upsets. Perhaps Oh and Russell split the votes.2. The buzziest moment came from the technical categoriesYou know those awards that are given out in the middle of the ceremony, when most people switch over to Monday Night Football or take their bathroom break? Well, they actually became a must-see. Glenn Weiss, who won best director for a variety special, pulled a surprise proposal that had people on social media talking for hours. Thank goodness he wasn’t played off during his acceptance speech, as per usual for such categories.3. Mrs. Maisel marks a coming out for AmazonNo one predicted the dominance of Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, which earned the night’s biggest awards haul, including best actress in a comedy and best comedy and best hat (OK, that’s not actually a category, but Amy Sherman-Palladino would have taken it). Amazon may have its new defining show, following the awards success of Transparent a few years back. Advertisement Twitter LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Login/Register With: Advertisement Was Sandra Oh robbed? Was Amazon founder Jeff Bezos in charge of picking the winners in the comedy category? Was the show actually over by … 11 p.m.?There were a lot of surprises at the 2018 Emmy awards, as there are every year. Here’s a rundown of the seven biggest shockers from Monday night’s ceremony, hosted by Colin Jost and Michael Che of Saturday Night Live.1. Claire Foy’s win for best actress in a drama Facebook
Usain Bolt has done it again. The Jamaican six-time Olympic gold medalist won his second 100-meter world title. The victory came on Sunday under rainy skies in Moscow.“I came out here just to execute and get it right and to win,” Bolt said. “That’s what I do. For me to come in and regain my title, it’s always great to be back.”American Justin Gatlin finished second after taking an early lead out of the starting blocks. Bolt tracked down Gatlin and won the race in 9.77 seconds, which would have been significantly lower if it wasn’t raining.“They wanted an epic race in rain, and they got it,” Gatlin said.Bolt’s fellow Jamaican Nesta Carter, who was the fastest out of the starting blocks, came in third with a time of 9.95.Earlier this week, Bolt talked to reporters in Moscow about what motivates him to keep running after all the success that he has achieved in his track career.“I want to set myself higher than the rest because I want to be among the greatest of all time and be discussed as someone great like Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali and Pele,” Bolt said. “I want to be among these guys, and if I want to be that I have to keep pushing myself regardless of who I am facing so that when I retire I’ll be remembered among the greatest sportsmen.”
17J.D. MartinezTigers/D-Backs/Red Sox9.14.88 playerTeamTOTALper 600 plate app. 7Matt ChapmanAthletics9.36.06 Aaron Hicks is climbing the WAR chartsThe top 20 MLB players by wins above replacement per 600 plate appearances, 2017-18 12Christian YelichMarlins/Brewers11.25.11 8Jose AltuveAstros12.56.04 13Andrelton SimmonsAngels10.45.07 9Francisco LindorIndians13.25.51 5Anthony RendonNationals12.46.32 1Mike TroutAngels16.38.95 4Jose RamirezIndians14.56.61 2Mookie BettsRed Sox15.16.91 3Aaron JudgeYankees13.06.79 16J.T. RealmutoMarlins8.94.88 15Kris BryantCubs9.25.01 6Justin TurnerDodgers9.56.08 It once seemed inevitable that the New York Yankees would sign Washington Nationals star Bryce Harper when he became a free agent at the end of this season. Though Harper has been injured and inconsistent since his 2015 MVP year, he’s still a rare talent who will hit free agency just entering his physical prime at age 26 — and the Yankees are one of the few teams able to afford him.But the Yankees may no longer need Harper’s services in the outfield. They’ve found a new star to join Aaron Judge, Giancarlo Stanton and the rest of their big names, a star who may not be as well-known but who has turned into one of the game’s best players: Aaron Hicks.The underrated 28-year-old is in his prime and under club control through the 2019 season. Hicks avoided arbitration by settling for a modest one-year, $2.85 million deal last offseason. He’ll be a relative bargain next year, too.Hicks homered Saturday and later provided the walk-off hit against Baltimore to clinch a playoff berth for the Yankees. He left Monday’s game in the fourth inning with hamstring discomfort, but he told reporters he isn’t concerned and should be able to return in a few days.Through Sunday, Hicks was tied for 17th in position player wins above replacement at 4.9 WAR, according to FanGraphs. (Harper was tied for 38th.) WAR is an accumulative stat, so when we adjust for playing time,1Hicks missed significant time in 2017 because of an oblique injury. Hicks ranked 11th in baseball in WAR per 600 plate appearances since 2017. By that measure, he placed ahead of stars like Christian Yelich, J.D. Martinez and Kris Bryant in terms of overall performance per playing time. Hicks projects to finish 2018 as a 5-WAR center fielder, a star-level player. He blends one of the game’s strongest outfield arms (reaching 105.5 mph with a throw in 2016) at a premium defensive position with one of the most disciplined bats in the majors and burgeoning switch-hitting power.Of course, prior to last season, he had been a major disappointment. The Twins selected Hicks — a two-way star at Woodrow Wilson High School in Long Beach, California — 14th overall in the 2008 draft. He made multiple top 100 prospect lists. But in his three years in the majors with Minnesota, covering 928 plate appearances, Hicks batted just .225 with a .306 on-base percentage and .349 slugging mark. It was good for an OPS+ of 81, meaning he was 19 percent below the average major league offensive performer.On Nov. 11, 2015, the Twins ran out of patience and traded Hicks to the Yankees for John Ryan Murphy, a replacement-level catcher with a career on-base mark of .269. Murphy is now a backup in Arizona.“In Minnesota, I feel like I was just trying to hit for a high average. That’s pretty much all I was trying to do,” Hicks told me in July. “I didn’t worry about home runs or anything like that. I just tried to get on base and have a high on-base percentage and hit singles: up-the-middle, opposite field.”The approach was generally ineffective for Hicks. When he arrived at Yankee Stadium, which has one of the shortest right-field fences in baseball, his entire philosophy changed. With the Twins in 2015, Hicks pulled batted balls at a 35.8 percent rate. Hicks has increased his pull percentage to 42.9 percent last season and to 45.1 percent this season, making him the 28th most pull-oriented hitter in the game.“When I came here, they wanted me to use my athleticism to hit the ball in the air more,” Hicks said. “Hit for more power. … The [Yankees major league] staff has been amazing as far as being able to elevate my game, different approaches in how to attack the baseball, and how to become the type of player I want to be.”The Yankees as a team focus on power and pull. That philosophy may be why the Yankees (251 home runs through Sunday) could challenge the 1997 Seattle Mariners’ single-season team home run record (264) despite having only one player (Stanton) with more than 30 home runs this season.Hicks doesn’t have the raw power of some of his teammates: His average exit velocity of 87.3 mph puts him in the middle of the pack in the majors, ranking 195th out of 336 batters. But he said his focus on power and pull has a side benefit: He’s become more selective at the plate. Hicks ranks fifth in baseball in walk rate on the season at 15.8 percent, a slight increase from his 14.1 percent mark last year and a large gain from 2016 (8.3 percent) and 2015 (8.7 percent). In the second half of this season, Hicks leads baseball in walk rate at 19.6 percent.“When I try and get the ball in the air, I swing at less stuff, because if I can’t hit a pitch in the air, I don’t swing at it,” Hicks said. “Naturally, I start to walk more. … If I’m getting pitches I can’t do damage with, I’m not going to swing until I have to with two strikes.”Only two major league players have walked more frequently and hit more home runs than Hicks this season: Harper and Mike Trout.Hicks swung at 23.8 percent of pitches classified as out of the strike zone in 2015 and 24.4 percent in his first year with the Yankees in 2016. That rate dipped to 21.5 percent last year and 19.4 percent this season. Among qualified hitters, only Joey Votto, Alex Bregman, Andrew McCutchen and Mookie Betts are swinging at fewer pitches out of the strike zone. Those players are either MVP candidates (Bregman, Betts) or have won MVP Awards (Votto, McCutchen). Trout ranks seventh.Pitchers have thrown Hicks — an excellent fastball hitter — fewer and fewer four-seam fastballs, from 34.8 percent of offerings in 2016 to 31.2 this season. Yet Hicks is slugging .525 against curveballs and holding his own against changeups.The Yankees have unearthed a star. While the club could still pursue Harper, Hicks gives it an alternative. He allows New York to invest $400 million elsewhere this winter and beyond.Check out our latest MLB predictions. Among players with at least 800 plate appearances since the start of the 2017 season.Source: FanGraphs 18Nolan ArenadoRockies10.64.82 19Giancarlo StantonMarlins/Yankees10.84.73 20Lorenzo CainRoyals/Brewers9.74.72 WAR 10Tommy PhamCardinals/Rays9.65.38 11Aaron HicksYankees8.25.30 14Alex BregmanAstros11.05.04
July 20, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, KUSI Newsroom 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsAs part of efforts to ensure Seaport Village remains a vibrant and prosperous waterfront destination for residents and visitors until the planned redevelopment of the Central Embarcadero, the Port of San Diego has selected RI Properties, Inc. (Retail Insite) to list and market vacant retail space at the shopping and dining complex.Retail Insite was selected among five complete proposals submitted in response to a Request for Proposals (RFP) issued by the Port on May 21, 2018.Retail Insite will support the Port by providing leasing services as described in the RFP for a three-year term, with two potential options to extend by one year each.The current lease for Seaport Village expires September 30, 2018. Beginning on October 1, 2018, Seaport Village will be managed on behalf of the Port by Protea Property Management, Inc. Retail Insite’s services are on an as-needed basis to fill vacancies to keep Seaport Village operating and thriving as it is for the next several years.Seaport Village is an approximately 14-acre site on the San Diego bayfront south of Tuna Harbor, bordering downtown San Diego. It consists of approximately 90,000 square feet of specialty retailers, restaurants, outdoor entertainment and parking.In late 2016, the Board of Port Commissioners selected 1HWY1 and its “Seaport San Diego” concept for the redevelopment of the Central Embarcadero, which includes Seaport Village and surrounding areas. Due to the size of the redevelopment and uniqueness of some of the proposed programmatic components; design, planning, and permitting will likely take several years. Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter Posted: July 20, 2018 Port of San Diego selects Retail Insite to list vacant Seaport Village spaces
Dan Cohen AUTHOR Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson, Alaska, may be spared some of the cuts planned for the 4th Brigade Combat Team (BCT), 25th Infantry Division over concerns that converting the brigade into an infantry battalion task force will leave the unit without sufficient personnel to carry out one of its primary missions.After the Army announced the reduction in July as part of a restructuring intended to shrink its active-duty end strength from 490,000 to 450,000 soldiers, Alaska lawmakers criticized the move for sacrificing the Army’s only airborne BCT in the Pacific theater. Some Army leaders questioned whether a newly created task force of 1,050 soldiers would be sufficient to conduct a joint forcible entry operation, such as capturing an airfield, reported Army Times. The 4th BCT now has about 4,000 soldiers, and Elmendorf-Richardson is slated to lose about 2,600 personnel as a result of the realignment.Army Chief of Staff Gen. Mark Milley told Sen. Dan Sullivan (R) he would revisit the Army’s original decision, Maj. Gen. Bryan Owens, commanding general of U.S. Army Alaska, said last week. The 4th BCT will conduct a joint forcible entry exercise during an upcoming rotation at the Joint Readiness Training Center (JRTC) at Fort Polk, La., to provide leaders more information before making a decision.“We’re working on a solution that does not lose the capabilities we have now, and the JRTC rotation is part of the assessment,” Owens told reporters.“The chief of staff has some hard decisions here,” Owens said. “This is important to us, but in the end, when the chief makes his decision, we’ll move out and shape this airborne task force.In addition to airborne capabilities, the unit provides the Army extreme cold weather-fighting capabilities, according to the story.