WATCH: Community comes together to give Laois girl the perfect 21st birthday

first_img Bizarre situation as Ben Brennan breaks up Fianna Fáil-Fine Gael arrangement to take Graiguecullen-Portarlington vice-chair role Electric Picnic Facebook Pinterest Electric Picnic Previous articleMy Life in Politics: Aisling Moran on canvassing, helping people and why the HSE has to be reformedNext articleGardai seize thousands of euro in drugs and make arrests following searches in Laois and Offaly Alan HartnettStradbally native Alan Hartnett is a graduate of Knockbeg College who has worked in the local and national media since 2008. Alan has a BA in Economics, Politics and Law and an MA in Journalism from DCU. His happiest moment was when Jody Dillon scored THAT goal in the Laois senior football final in 2016. Pinterest WhatsApp SEE ALSO – 12 more Coronavirus deaths as leading education official casts doubts on September school reopening Home News Community WATCH: Community comes together to give Laois girl the perfect 21st birthday NewsCommunity Facebook Laois Councillor ‘amazed’ at Electric Picnic decision to apply for later date for 2021 festival center_img RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Twitter WATCH: Community comes together to give Laois girl the perfect 21st birthday This will most certainly brighten up your Monday!Last week, we learned how a very special Mountrath girl’s 21st birthday celebrations had been ruined by the Coronavirus.Hope, who has Down Syndrome, was supposed to go to Disneyland for her birthday on Sunday but when that couldn’t happen – her family put out a plea to bring Disneyland to her.Her foster mam Margaret Gorman-Donovan asked for people who could, to drive past their house to give Hope a ‘drive-by birthday’.And the community came in their droves. We had Snow White, Cruella de Vil and her dalmatians, Mickey Mouse, Big Bird and of course, Elsa from Frozen.Everyone who was present was practising social distancing and those who were together all came from the one household.Hope’s cousin Sarah Jane Allen told LaoisToday how it really was something that neither Hope nor her family will ever forget.Sarah Jane said: “We cannot say thank you enough to everyone who participated.“It was fantastic to see Hope’s little face light up with everyone driving by wishing her a Happy Birthday.“Hope was so overwhelmed by all the love she has received and her heart is most definitely filled with joy.“She couldn’t go to Disneyland and see the magic, so we brought the magic to her.“She is one happy princess now.”Check out a brilliant video from the day below and also some excellent pictures courtesy of the Mountrath Camera Club: News TAGS21st birthdayDisneylandFrozenHope WhatsApp Twitter By Alan Hartnett – 11th May 2020 Electric Picnic organisers release statement following confirmation of new festival datelast_img read more

Santa Monica eases alcohol restrictions for restaurants

first_img Comments are closed. May 14, 2020 at 1:04 AM R.H. says: HomeNewsCity CouncilSanta Monica eases alcohol restrictions for restaurants May. 13, 2020 at 12:47 pmCity CouncilFeaturedFoodNewsSanta Monica eases alcohol restrictions for restaurantsMadeleine Pauker1 year agocity councilfoodgleam davisgreg morenajing yeomain streetrestaurantsthird street promenadeOfficials in March ordered would-be shoppers to stay at home. (Matthew Hall) In a move to help the local economy recover after stay-at-home orders are lifted, Santa Monica City Council on Tuesday voted to relax regulations on alcohol service for many restaurants and encourage nightlife on the Third Street Promenade.Restaurants in commercial areas other than the Promenade will be allowed to serve alcohol from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m. each day, rather than just on Fridays and Saturdays, and generate half of their gross revenue from alcohol sales — the state’s legal limit. The city previously capped alcohol sales at 35% of revenue.The council also voted to extend a coronavirus-era rule that allows restaurants to offer alcoholic drinks for takeout and delivery.Councilmember Greg Morena, who runs The Albright restaurant on the Santa Monica Pier, said alcohol sales help restaurants survive on razor-thin margins. When restaurants reopen with physical distancing and infection controls that increase operating costs and cut customer capacity, their margins will be even thinner. “To revitalize our economy, we have to open it up to these operations,” Morena said. While he acknowledged that rowdy restaurants have caused problems from time to time, he noted that residents can report a restaurant or bar to the city if it becomes a nuisance.“There have been challenges in the past, but if we look backwards we can’t see the opportunities in front of us,” he said.Businesses on the Promenade will operate under a looser set of rules as the city tries to foster nightlife and entertainment in the shopping district, which had already been hit hard by the shift away from brick-and-mortar retail before the pandemic.Promenade restaurants and bars will be able to obtain alcohol permits through an administrative process and serve alcohol on their premises and for takeout and delivery until 2 a.m. each day.Restrictions on live entertainment, television screens and games will be removed, and food halls and light manufacturing — such as breweries or artisan studios — will be able to open without a conditional use permit. Businesses will no longer have to maintain alley loading docks, which councilmembers said would free up the alleys for pedestrians and cyclists. The city is also planning to allow small businesses to open onto the alleys. The council also approved several rule changes for other commercial areas of the city that will make it easier for restaurants and stores to open in vacant buildings, ease parking and loading requirements, and conditionally permit food halls. Restaurants will be able to occupy spaces up to 5,000 square feet without a discretionary permit. Previously, restaurants trying to open or expand in spaces larger than 2,500 square feet had to obtain a permit. Appeals of alcohol permits will be prohibited for restaurants with more than 50 seats.The council voted to do away with a rule that limited the number of restaurants on Main Street to two per block, which planning manager Jing Yeo said has made it difficult to fill vacancies.Yeo said city staff will bring a plan to the council next month to allow more outdoor dining throughout the city, and Councilmember Gleam Davis asked staff to develop regulations that allow restaurants to expand to accommodate physical distancing requirements.The city is also planning to streamline the process to open or renovate businesses.“We are laser focused on economic recovery for all in our community,” Interim City Manager Lane Dilg said in a statement. “Every council meeting will include at least one agenda item that protects vulnerable residents or supports our struggling local business community.”[email protected] 1 Comment center_img Now that Cole resigned as city manager, the corruption will continue to grow unfettered, amid the rationales the city council will use about economic recovery as they stuff their pockets further and put people’s lives back at risk. You should be reporting on the graft involved but me thinks you’re too afraid. Tags :city councilfoodgleam davisgreg morenajing yeomain streetrestaurantsthird street promenadeshare on Facebookshare on Twittershow 1 comment Letter to the Editor – Save the beach maintenance workersLos Angeles County allows all retailers to open for pickupYou Might Also LikeFeaturedNewsBobadilla rejects Santa Monica City Manager positionMatthew Hall6 hours agoNewsWedding boom is on in the US as vendors scramble to keep upAssociated Press17 hours agoNewsCouncil picks new City ManagerBrennon Dixson17 hours agoFeaturedNewsProtesting parents and Snapchat remain in disagreement over child protection policiesClara Harter17 hours agoFeaturedNewsDowntown grocery to become mixed use developmenteditor17 hours agoNewsBruised but unbowed, meme stock investors are back for moreAssociated Press17 hours agolast_img read more