Asia 2degrees taps Ericsson for 5G RAN, core equipment Previous ArticleFeature: Mobile 360 Latin America day 1 highlightsNext ArticleVodafone all set for early 2017 NB-IoT launch Ericsson-Samsung patent deal ends legal disputes HomeAsiaNews Taiwan’s Far EasTone targets 5G services in 2018 Joseph Waring 5G labEricssonFar EasToneTaiwan Tags AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInLinkedInShare to TwitterTwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookFacebookShare to MoreAddThisMore 21 SEP 2016 At the opening ceremony of its 5G lab in Taipei, Far EasTone Telecommunications said it expects to start offering 5G services in 2018, ahead of commercial operations in 2020.The operator, Taiwan’s third largest mobile player, aims to launch its first pre-commercial 5G services during the Pyeongchang 2018 Winter Olympic Games (South Korea), the Taipei Times reported.The lab, developed in partnership with Ericsson, is the country’s first 5G lab. The facility demoed data transmission speeds of 1Gb/s on its 4G network, making it Ericsson’s ninth global 5G partner to reach that speed.While a number of operators and vendors have announced 5G tests and trials this year, the first official release of a 5G standard isn’t expected until mid-2018, with phase two following by the end of 2019 – so the consensus is that 5G launches won’t start until 2020. Widespread deployments of 5G aren’t expected to come until 2022 or later.Far EasTone, with nearly a 24 per cent market share (marginally behind number two Taiwan Mobile), announced in June it was working with the Swedish equipment vendor to set up the 5G lab in Taipei.It also announced plans earlier in the year to hire 2,000 employees this year to support its move to expand its services in areas such as video content and boost its marketing team.Long before 5G becomes a reality, the operator said it will upgrade its 4G infrastructure to LTE-Advanced using three carrier aggregation, 4×4 MIMO and 256QAM technologies. Huawei, ZTE boost global infrastructure market share Related Joseph Waring joins Mobile World Live as the Asia editor for its new Asia channel. Before joining the GSMA, Joseph was group editor for Telecom Asia for more than ten years. In addition to writing features, news and blogs, he… Read more Author
“On Thursday evening, Saleem Khan told local media that his son had undergone brain surgery and remained in critical condition.” Image courtesy: IOL “On Thursday evening, Saleem Khan told local media that his son had undergone brain surgery and remained in critical condition.” Image courtesy: IOLA victim of a bomb attack that injured five in a residential area of Durban has undergone brain surgery.Zakariah Khan, son to Saleem Khan – who is believed to have been the target of the attack – was seriously injured when a bomb hidden within a “Get Well Soon” gift exploded outside the Khan family home.Zakariah’s wife, Maseeha, and his grandmother, Sara-Bibi, were also injured in the attack.On Thursday evening, Saleem Khan told local media that his son had undergone brain surgery and remained in critical condition.“He also has massive burns on his skin,” Saleem told South Africa media.“My mother [Sara-Bibi Khan] is still in hospital and due to the extent of her lacerations, may require the amputation of her leg.“My daughter-in-law [Maseeha] is out of hospital but is very traumatised.”Two explosives hidden within a pot plant delivery, with a card saying “Get Well Soon” arrived at the Khan home last week. When 22-year-old Zakariah opened the parcel in the living room where his wife and grandmother were also sitting, the first explosive went off.The two delivery men who dropped off the parcel were also injured.Saleem arrived home soon after to find his family bleeding and in “extreme shock” in the ripped-up lounge.They were rushed to hospital, and police later found a second explosive in the pot.No suspects have been arrested yet.