Intensified Mathematics Programme to be Implemented in September

first_imgRelatedBursaries for 1,000 Tertiary Students in PATH Households FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail Story HighlightsAn intensified Mathematics programme will be implemented to address the continued poor performance in the subjectBehind targets for Mathematics established in the National Education Strategic Plan40 per cent of the teachers at the secondary level are unqualified mathematics teachers Intensified Mathematics Programme to be Implemented in September EducationAugust 19, 2013Written by: Glenis A. Rose RelatedBack-To-School Treat for Hanover Childrencenter_img RelatedEducation Ministry/Spanish Jamaica Foundation Bring Spanish to Local TV Minister of Education, Hon. Rev. Ronald Thwaites, has announced that come the start of the new academic year in September, an intensified Mathematics programme will be implemented to address the continued poor performance in the subject.“The central objective of the programme is to ensure that persons engaging our children in the teaching and learning of the content are most effective,” the Minister said.Rev. Thwaites was delivering the keynote address at the Ministry of Education, Region 4 Stakeholders’ Back-to-School Conference 2013, at the Grand Palladium Hotel and Resort in Lucea, Hanover, on August 15.The Minister indicated that in the Caribbean Secondary Examination Council (CSEC) examination results which were released earlier this week, there was an increase in passes in some 25 of 35 subject areas.“There has been nearly a 5 per cent increase in Mathematics passes over last year’s outcome, which indicates that 42.2 per cent of candidates who took the exam passed.  This means that 1,100 more students passed than last year.  The Ministry is however, not satisfied with the outcomes relating to these passes in Mathematics as well as similar results in English, as they are both important for economic growth and development,” the Minister said.He said Jamaica has much ground to cover, if the country is to attain the targets for Mathematics established in the National Education Strategic Plan, which outlines 85 per cent mastery at Grade 4; 80 per cent of students attaining 65 per cent or more in Mathematics on the Grade 6 Achievement Test and 100 per cent of the Grade 11 cohort sitting CSEC Mathematics by 2016.“We are behind in these targets and our students continue to register poor performance in Mathematics due to several factors.  A significant cause is that many teachers at the primary and secondary levels of the education system are not fully equipped to effectively support the teaching and learning of the subject,” Rev. Thwaites said.“The results of the 2011 Ministry of Education census showed that only 9 per cent of teachers of mathematics at the secondary level are qualified to teach the subject to Grade 11, while some 40 per cent of the teachers at the secondary level are unqualified mathematics teachers, as they are trained in other areas of specialization; and 39 per cent of teachers at the primary level have no secondary mathematics certification,” the Minister noted.Rev. Thwaites  said the National Mathematics Policy Guidelines, scheduled to be implemented in September, is central to the Ministry’s response to the critical status of Mathematics in Jamaica.More than 300 Principals and Board Chairmen attended the Back-to- School Conference, which was held under the theme: ‘Leadership with a mission: Developing a culture of performance’. Advertisementslast_img read more

Spieth: ‘Bit too soon’ to judge any new era

first_imgSHANGHAI – Jordan Spieth wore a black tunic with red trim around the collar to take part in a Chinese drum ceremony late Tuesday afternoon just as the Shanghai skyline began to glow with lights behind him and three other top players. This was the traditional photo opportunity to kick off the HSBC Champions. One observer noted that Spieth had not dressed like that since graduation, which for him was only four years ago – from high school. The landscape in golf is changing quicker than the rapid beat of those Chinese drums. One year ago, Spieth wasn’t even in the top 10 in the world and had only one win as a pro. Since then, the 22-year-old Texan has won seven times around the world, including the Masters and the U.S. Open, along with a Tour Championship that capped a record $22 million year. He is looked upon as the future of American golf. At least for now. Also on the stage with Spieth was 26-year-old Rickie Fowler, who is coming off a big year of his own. Fowler won three times, the biggest at The Players Championship where he delivered perhaps the greatest finish of the season when he made three birdies on the island-green 17th to win a tension-filled playoff. Jason Day couldn’t make it to China. The 27-year-old Australian is home awaiting the birth of his second child. And the drum beat had to go on without 26-year-old Rory McIlroy, who was coping with a stomach ailment. Not to be overlooked are the three winners of the new PGA Tour season – Emiliano Grillo (23), Smylie Kaufman (23) and Justin Thomas (22). That explains why PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem sounded at ease when asked Monday about golf moving along without Tiger Woods. [[{“type”:”media”,”view_mode”:”media_original”,”fid”:”1263916″,”attributes”:{“alt”:””,”class”:”media-image”,”height”:”701″,”typeof”:”foaf:Image”,”width”:”1442″}}]] Click here for photos from the WGC-HSBC Champions ”We are headed for a long period of parity with a lot of stars being developed,” Finchem said at the HSBC Golf Business Forum. ”And in today’s world, you can become a star in a hurry. It’s a great thing. The professional game is in exceptionally good shape. But I think the next 10 years are the most exciting we’ll ever see to this point.” It sure seems that way. The top three players – Day, Spieth and McIlroy – are all in their 20s and hail from three continents. Players in their 20s won three majors for the second straight year. That had occurred only twice in the previous four decades, and one of those years was 2000 when a 24-year-old Woods won three majors. Woods had another back procedure last week – that’s three in the last 20 months – for another clear sign that his time is about up, if it isn’t already. But leave it to Spieth, with his wise head on such young shoulders, to preach patience and perspective. A new era in golf? ”I think it’s a bit soon,” Spieth said. ”For Rory, it’s different because it’s been consistent for years now. Jason and I, we’ve played solid golf the last few years. In order to create an era, you almost need a decade of years like this. Sure, we have the potential to do it. But this was the first year of it. But unless we keep our heads down … unless we’re aware of it, and it drives us, and we get the right breaks, there’s a lot of factors. So maybe it’s a big premature to say that. ”But,” he added, ”I believe there was a step needed in the right direction, and it took place this year. If we can ride with that, it will be significant.” Spieth looks at this as a new year, and the World Golf Championship that starts Thursday at Sheshan International is his first event of a new PGA Tour season. McIlroy, still catching up from the two months he missed this summer from an ankle injury, is wrapping up another Race to Dubai title the rest of the month. The beauty of having a cast of stars so young, as Fowler noted, is that they can battle each other for the next 10 or 15 years. Then again, maybe the conversation might include a different list – or a longer list – of players at this time next year. That seems improbable now, but consider where golf was a year ago. McIlroy was No. 1 and the only debate was which player was best suited to challenge him. McIlroy now is No. 3, and the list is growing. ”The top five in the world ranking, we’ve seen now in the last two years how much that changed,” Spieth said. At the end of 2013, the top five included Woods, Adam Scott and Phil Mickelson. Spieth suspects things will stay in motion. ”I believe we’ll all battle it out,” he said. ”But to battle it out on highest stages and to stay up in the ranking and all that … it can happen. But it’s going to take more than just this year.”last_img read more

PREMIERE: The McCrary Sisters Talk Importance Of Music For Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Virtual Event [Video]

first_imgBefore and after Hardly Strictly Bluegrass’s Let The Music Play On streaming event on Saturday October 3rd, music fans can tune in to Democracy Comes Alive: A Virtual Festival To Get Out The Vote, featuring members of the Grateful Dead, Phish, The String Cheese Incident, and 50+ more. For more information or to secure your link to the show, head here. San Francisco’s Hardly Strictly Bluegrass was supposed to welcome fans back to its longtime home of Golden Gate Park to celebrate its 20th anniversary this fall. Like the rest of the live events industry, however, the long-running free Bay Area music festival which celebrates American roots music won’t be able to take place in person this year, and event organizers are instead looking to bring music to fans with the Let the Music Play On all-star webcast event scheduled for Saturday, October 3rd.The three-hour broadcast will feature a mix of archive footage from the festival’s first 19 years, fan-submitted memories, and new performance footage and interviews from 30+ artists from Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris, Aaron Lee Tasjan, Buddy Miller, Fantastic Negrito, Shakey Graves, Ashley Monroe Rhiannon Giddens, Yola, John Doe, The War and Treaty, and more. The new performances were filmed over the spring and summer months in locations ranging from Nashville to Ireland.“I’ve been so lucky to be able to host a day on the Rooster Stage for the last six years or so and invite friends and acts that I just love and think people would adore,” Buddy Miller said in reflection of the long-running event in a press statement. “This year, we’re doing the ‘Cavalcade of Stars’ from my studio with a lot of those same people – Emmylou Harris, The War & Treaty, Ashley Monroe, Kieran Kane and Rayna Gellert, The McCrary Sisters, and Jim Lauderdale.”Speaking of The McCrary Sisters, Live For Live Music is thrilled to share new video interview footage of the gospel trio ahead of Saturday’s webcast. Watch them discuss how music is key to keeping our minds clear and at peace in these loud and unpredictable times below:The McCrary Sisters – Let The Music Play On Interview[Video: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass]The one-time-only Let the Music Play On webcast will be free for all to watch, and viewers are encouraged to donate what they can to the event’s charitable partners, Artist Relief, an emergency relief fund that provides up to $5,000 grants for artists facing dire financial emergencies during the ongoing pause of the live events industry. The announcement shared by organizers revealed that the festival has already donated $1 million to Artist Relief for musicians across the country to benefit from immediately.Fans can tune in to Let the Music Play On on October 3rd beginning at 5 p.m. ET/2 p.m. PT on Circle TV, Nugs.TV, and the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Facebook page and website.last_img read more

Four Lefty Options For the Indians Not Named Andrew Miller

first_img Related TopicsAndrew MillerAroldis ChapmanBradley ZimmerClint FrazierIan KrolJonathan LucroySean DoolittleWill SmithZach Duke Tim Tedeschi is a writer for NEOSI and a producer/contributor for the Sports on Tap Podcast. He is a senior at Indiana Wesleyan University, where he has worked as sports editor of the school newspaper, general manager of the college radio station, and play-by-play and color commentator for NAIA and high school basketball, soccer, and football. Follow him on Twitter @tim_tedeschi. Tim Tedeschicenter_img For the first time in a long time, the Tribe finds themselves as buyers at the trade deadline.  While there have been reports the Indians may be targeting a catcher, particularly Milwaukee’s Jonathan Lucroy, the team’s most pressing need is a left-handed reliever.The six lefties Cleveland has used in the pen this year have combined for a 7.35 ERA in 24.1 innings of work.  That’s not a ton of innings, but a majority of those appearances are coming in matchup situations against left-handed hitters.The big name everyone’s talking about is the Yankees’ Andrew Miller, but that might be unrealistic after the Cubs sent their top prospect and three other minor leaguers to New York for a three-month Aroldis Chapman rental.  Miller is signed through 2018 and would most likely require sending both Bradley Zimmer and Clint Frazier, as well as a few other prospects, to the Yankees.  The Indians can’t afford to mortgage their future for Miller, but there are a few other lefties the Tribe could pursue:ZACH DUKE, CHICAGO WHITE SOXThe 12-year veteran has had a phenomenal season for the Sox, posting a 2.71 ERA in 51 appearances so far this year.  Lefties hit .271 against Duke, which isn’t a terrific mark.  However, he has been used more than any other pitcher in the AL this year, giving hitters more opportunities against him.  Duke would be an upgrade over the lefties the Tribe currently use, but isn’t going to blow away every lefty he faces.WILL SMITH, MILWAUKEE BREWERSSmith has been rumored as the additional player in a deal for Lucroy and would be much cheaper than Miller since he is only signed through the end of this year.  He has a 3.86 ERA overall, but lefties also hit .281 against him.  Like Duke, Smith is a veteran who would be more reliable against lefties than what the Indians have now, but isn’t a shutdown matchup lefty like Miller.SEAN DOOLITTLE, OAKLAND ATHLETICSDoolittle is an intriguing high-risk, high-reward trade candidate.  He has a 2.93 ERA overall, has given up just 3 runs against lefties, and left-handed hitters are hitting just .152 against him.  However, he’s currently on the DL with a left shoulder strain and will most likely not be fully recovered until mid-August.  There’s no telling how he will perform when he comes back, although he has bounced back from shoulder injuries in the past.  Doolittle is signed through 2018 with team options through 2020, but if the Indians shouldered some of the payroll burden the A’s may lower their asking price as they seek to rebuild.  It’s unlikely rookie GM Mike Chernoff would make such a bold move, but Doolittle is a fascinating option.IAN KROL, ATLANTA BRAVESKrol has bounced from Washington to Detroit to now Atlanta in his four-year majors career, but he’s been a relatively bright spot for the hapless Braves this year.  He’s posted a 3.18 ERA in 28.1 innings, and lefties hit .256 against him.  He’s also entering his first arbitration year in 2017 and won’t become a free agent until 2020.  The Braves are most definitely sellers with the worst record in baseball; it’s worth a shot for the Tribe to inquire about Krol.last_img read more

VIDEO: Booy And Tainton Discuss Lam Appointment

first_imgLam – a PRO12 title winner with Connacht – was confirmed as the Club’s new Head Coach, joining in the summer of 2017.Subscribe to Bristol Rugby TV by clicking here.last_img