I accept my fate with all sincerity: Prithvi Shaw responds to BCCI doping suspension

first_imgI accept my fate with all sincerity: Prithvi Shaw responds to BCCI doping suspensionIndian Test opener Prithvi Shaw has broken his silence soon after the BCCI handed him an 8-month suspension after his urine sample tested positive for the banned substance Terbutaline.advertisement India Today Web Desk New DelhiJuly 30, 2019UPDATED: July 31, 2019 07:57 IST Prithvi Shaw will be out of competitive cricket till November 15, 2019. (Getty Images)HIGHLIGHTSPrithvi Shaw has been suspended for 8 months by BCCIShaw has claimed that he inadvertently used a cough syrup for treatment of severe coldShaw has also accepted the verdictIndia batsman Prithvi Shaw has been handed a back-dated eight-month suspension for a doping violation after ingesting a prohibited substance Terbutaline, the country’s cricket board (BCCI) said on Tuesday.The BCCI said Shaw, who made his test debut last year, admitted to the Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV) but the 19-year-old asserted that it was ‘inadvertent’, ingesting the substance when he had used an over-the-counter cough syrup.Shaw released a statement later on Tuesday saying he accepted the punishment and hoped this example would deter other athletes from neglecting protocol when it came to taking medicines.”I accept my fate with all sincerity,” Shaw said on Twitter. “I have to take this in my stride and hope it inspires others in our sports fraternity too in India.”We as athletes need to be extremely careful in taking any medicine for the smallest of medical ailments even if the medicine is available over the counter.”Shaw last played for India in a test match against West Indies in October last year and has not been picked in the squad for their tour of the Caribbean next month.However, Shaw will be allowed to resume training with his state team after midnight on Sept. 15.Here is his full statement:pic.twitter.com/KXYHcUcBR0Prithvi Shaw (@PrithviShaw) July 30, 2019″I have come to know today that I will not be able to play cricket till mid-November 2019. This is in light of a prohibited substance present in the cough syrup which I inadvertently took when I had severe cough & cold while playing for my Mumbai team during Syed Mushtaq Ali tournament in Indore in Feb 2019. I was coming back off a foot injury which I suffered during the India tour of Australia & I was returning to active cricket in that tournament. However, out of my eagerness to play, I didn’t follow the protocol of being careful in consuming a basic over the counter cough syrup.advertisementI accept my fate with all sincerity. while I’m still nursing an injury which I suffered during my last tournament, this news has really shaken me. I have to take this in my stride and I hope it inspires others in our sports fraternity too in India that we as athletes need to be extremely careful in taking any medicine for the smallest of medical ailments even if the medicine is available over the counter & we need to always follow the protocol.I thank the BCCI for all the support and also my near and dear ones who have always stood by me. Cricket is my life and there is no bigger pride for me than playing for India or Mumbai & I will come out of this faster and stronger. Thank you again, everyone, for your support.”The BCCI also said that two other domestic cricketers – Akshay Dullarwar (Vidarbha) and Divya Gajraj (Rajasthan) – were suspended for eight and six months, respectively, for similar inadvertent doping offences.Also Read | Prithvi Shaw suspended by BCCI until November 15 for doping violationAlso Read | Could have won Khel Ratna if Punjab government had sent my nomination on time: Harbhajan SinghFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAjay Tiwari Tags :Follow Prithvi ShawFollow BCCIFollow Indian cricketlast_img read more

Koulibaly hurt by own goal against Juventus

first_imgNapoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly was left devastated by his injury time own goal that saw his side lose 4-3 to Juventus on Saturday.Juve took a 3-0 lead thanks to goals from Danilo, Gonzalo Higuain and Cristiano Ronaldo, but the visitors fought back, with Kostas Manolas, Hirving Lozano and Giovanni Di Lorenzo finding the net to pull level with the reigning Serie A champions.With just 90 seconds left, however, Koulibaly tried to clear a cross from a free-kick and ended up knocking it past Alex Meret to hand the hosts three points. Article continues below Editors’ Picks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? Are Chelsea this season’s Ajax? Super-subs Batshuayi & Pulisic show Blues can dare to dream And the centre-back spoke of his disappointment after the game, but he remains confident his side can bounce back.”It’s an own goal that hurts me because it came after an incredible comeback,” the 28-year-old said on Twitter.”I’m sorry but I have to, we have to accept it: we are strong. We have shown that. We’re going to prove it.”Coach Carlo Ancelotti was not happy with his side’s display, despite their incredible turnaround in the second half.”It was not a positive performance. The first hour we didn’t do well. But despite the 3-0 we stayed in the game, we came back,” he said.”But my judgment would not have changed even with a 3-3 draw.”Juventus played more on the counterattack at 2-0 and we had more control over the game, we gave Juve the chance to press and take confidence. “We made so many mistakes, allowing them to press, to create problems, to show courage.“Blaise Matuidi, for example, did an extraordinary job, but left room for Fabian Ruiz who remained isolated. We never managed to get to him with a clean pass. Too bad, the spaces were there.”He added: “Juventus have so much character and quality, we know that they always step up in the important moments of the season. “We wasted an opportunity today.Napoli are in action again on September 15 when they host Sampdoria, the same day Juventus visit Fiorentina.last_img read more